Shelter Engineer - UNCHR at Plan International
Akwajobs (Bamenda, Cameroon)
Posted : 4 August, 2019
Job type : Full Time
Shelter Engineer - UNCHR
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. However, these are often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. In addition, it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. Moreover, we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Working in more than 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income, working in partnership with others and operating effectively. Plan is committed to responding to children affected by emergencies in the countries of our operation.
Given the current humanitarian crisis in the NW Region of Cameroon Plan is engaged in providing life-saving humanitarian assistance, protection, and psychosocial support. Its operations are implemented in key sectors of Protection (Child Protection and SGBV), Livelihood, WASH and NFIs in coordination with all other humanitarian institutions.
With a new funding from UNHCR on the distribution of NFIs (Core relief and shelter kits), Plan International will implement this project in the NW and SW regions from July 2019 to December 2019. Under this project, this position is responsible for monitoring and reporting on field activities in the project. He/She will ensure quality and norms in the implementation of project activities.
Dimensions of Role:
This position is responsible for technical leadership and coordination of planning initiatives, monitoring, evaluation, research and dissemination on all shelter related activities in the context of UNHCR project implementation to benefit the vulnerable people who are the Internally Displaced People (IDPs), host families and the most vulnerable host populations in Belo, Fundong, Kumbo, Bali and Batibo sub-divisions in the North West region and Buea, Tiko, Muyuka, Limbe, West coast Konye, Kake, Teke, Kossala in the South West region. Support to the coordinators, communities and especially to the LNGOs charged with the field implementation of the project. S/he will co-ordinate closely with the project Manager, the M&E officer in the Program Unit and other Emergency Response Team members and Plan staff, especially monitoring & evaluation management, to build the technical capacity of local partners and improve programme quality and effectiveness of the current response/project as well as any future recovery activities. Will be based in the SW and NW regions (1 per region).
Key End Results and Typical Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Project manager, the holder of this position will have as main tasks:
- Review and confirm the quality of shelter kits received for distribution.,
- Provide technical guide and advise the LNGO partners and beneficiary communities on how to effectively use the shelter kits for construction.
- Provide the possible designs that can be used for shelter construction using the provided shelter kits.
- Work with the LNGO to ensure that the shelter constructed or renovated are of acceptable standards
- Follow up and provide weekly reports with photos and shelter related activities.
- Work with the LNGOs to ensure that beneficiaries provide testimonies on how the shelter kits they have received have affected their lives.
- Bring out all the problems encountered in the construction of shelter for the beneficiaries and provide possible solutions.
- Participate actively in shelter coordination meetings organized at regional level.
- Participate in resource mobilisation by providing data that can be used in writing proposals in the domains of infrastructure, water and sanitation etc.
- Contribute in the writing of concept notes for resource mobilisation.
- Do other tasks as requested by the supervisor or emergency teams to ensure success of Plan emergency operations.
Dealing with Problems:
- Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them.
- The job requires contribution to the decision-making on the basis of assumption and experience, as little hard information will be available. Decisions need to be context specific and there will often be no precedents to draw upon.
- Decisions may affect the lives of thousands of disaster affected children, millions of dollars, security of staff, and the profile of Plan across the humanitarian sector and across media.
- Excellent and creative leadership skills will be utilized to make strategic choices on responses with limited resources and with possible resistance from colleagues as is often the case in emergency response work
- He/She should work under pressure and accept travels and stays in areas often austere.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Key Internal Contacts Emergency Response Manager, project manager, M&E officer of the project, other members of the Emergency Response team, and Plan staff at the Country as appropriate.
- Key External Contacts LNGOs, Other agencies, State organization, municipal councils, ministerial departments and groups especially those working in the project zone and in similar domains. Reporting lines Reports to the UNHCR Project Coordinator/manager and Emergency Response Manager as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- Holder of a diploma civil engineering, architecture or other equal diplomas.
- Have at least 3 years working experience in conception works, calculation of quantitative estimates, follow up and technical control of the execution of infrastructural projects (buildings, shelter, latrines water points etc).
- Have solid experience in the conduct of qualitative and quantitative investigation;
- Have a practical and relevant experience in the interventions in emergency contexts;
- Have a good editorial capacity (capacity of drafting of reports);
- Know how to use the computer and master standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...);
- A knowledge of the intervention area i.e. NW and SW regions;
- Good knowledge and understanding of humanitarian principles and established international child protection standards;
- Knowledge of PLAN policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct.
- Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills;
- Skills in participatory assessment.
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local staff and also able to work with displaced persons and communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Commitment to child protection, gender equality and participation.
- Fluency in French and English.
- Commitment and adherence to humanitarian values and standards,
- Cross-culturally agile
- Aware of own strengths, weaknesses and pro-active in using feedback and self-development
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's core values and humanitarian principles
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive under pressure.
- Preparedness to live and work in uncertain security environments.
- Experience working in conflict or emergency-affected areas (or other situations where insecurity and corruption can be big issues)
- Commitment to and skills in capacity building – together with the ability to assess and coach others.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Work both at the office and in the field
- Frequent field visits: The Shelter Engineer will spend at least 80% of his time on the field monitoring project activities
- Periods of intense work at all times of day and night.
- Working in multiple locations and on the move.
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English, will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan international has a child protection and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply". Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current of most recent supervisor
Location: Bamenda, Buea or Kumba, Cameroon
Closing date: August 11th, 2019
Join Akwajobs G4 for updates, tips and info // Rejoignez Akwajobs G4 pour des offres d'emploi, des conseils et des informations https://chat.whatsapp.com/BtE6O9YF6U776ZBHMpDcdS
Join Akwajobs' Telegram Channel for updates, tips and info // Rejoignez la Chaîne de Akwajobs au Telegram pour des offres d'emploi, des conseils et des informations https://t.me/akwajobs
Apply for this job