Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an international non-governmental medical association providing assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We observe neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claim full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of our functions.
Related with our activities we are looking for a NURSE.
Working locations: Mamfe Health District and part of Eyumojock and Kumba Health District, in Health Facilities and Communities.
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: According to the organisation´s Salary Grid – Level 5
Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population
• Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
• Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
• Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
• Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
• Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
• Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
• Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed .
• Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
• Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Fol-lowing the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
• Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
• Responds to emergency calls through MSF ambulance call center to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and transports the patient to a medical facility.
• Determines the nature and extent of illness or injury and establishes priority for required emergency care. Based on assessment findings, renders emergency medical care to adult, infant and child, medical and trauma patients.
• Performs first aid, management of critical patients and control of vital signs.
• Constantly assesses patient en route to emergency facility, administers additional care as indicated or directed by medical referent.
• Reports verbally and in writing their observation and emergency medical care of the patient at the emergency scene and in transit to the receiving facility staff for purposes of records and diagnostics.
• Upon request, provides assistance to the receiving facility staff.
• After each call, restocks and replaces used linens, blankets and other supplies, cleans all equipment following appropriate disinfecting procedures, makes careful check of all equipment so that the ambulance is ready for the next run.
• Informs patients and caretakers of MSF referral and admission criteria.
• Supports the emergency room in MSF supported hospitals when there are not ambulance reference/calls.
• Escorts patients for other investigation such as X-Rays, etc. to other health facilities via ambulance if required as informed by MSF call centre.
• Provides reimbursement of transportation to identified vehicles from IHCs to MSF supported facilities if patient meets established referral criteria.
• Support the medical team in others activities when necessary and to be part of the exploratory mission if nurse is required in the team.
• Attends continuing education and refresher training programs as required by MSF.
· Essential, recognized Nurse degree/diploma. Desirable Bachelor in science of Nursing.
· Desirable 2 years of previous experience, preferable previous experience in other NGO’s
· Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting
· Essential, English and local language
· Competences: Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management
All applications (CV, cover letter, diplomas, working certificates, telephone number, etc.) must be sent by email to the following address:
firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning on the subject: NURSE or else be submitted at Doctors Without Borders office at Mile 1 Mamfe, in a sealed envelop Ref: Recruitment Driver addressed to Doctors Without Borders - HR Department..
Deadline for the reception of applications: 20th February 2020
NB: No applications will be accepted after the deadline Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application documents are non-returnable; please do not submit original documents. Writing tests and interviews will be done in our offices after the selection of the applications.