ICLA Programme Development Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Cameroon is compounded by three conflict-related humanitarian crises: in addition, the secondary impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic have further exacerbated the needs in-country. Incursions by Armed Organized Groups (AOGs) in the Lack Chad Basin have resulted into 114,000 Nigerians seeking refuge in Cameroon and a further 322,000 Cameroonians as IDPs in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. Cameroon’s Eastern regions are still home to over 290,000 refugees from the Central African Republic and the third crisis is the on-going violence in the two English-speaking regions of North-west and South-west where nearly one million Cameroonians have been displaced due to this crisis.
NRC has been operational in Cameroon since April 2017, and currently has five field offices; Maroua and Kousseri in the Far North; Buea in the South-west; Bamenda in the North-west and Batouri in the East.
The purpose of the Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Specialist position is technical development of the ICLA programme, provision of strategic direction and quality assurance, and developing the ICLA strategy. The ICLA Specialist is responsible for mentoring, training and capacity build staff on ICLA technical capacity.
NRC has been implementing its Information Counselling and legal assistance programme in Cameroon since July 2017 in the Far North and East region and has started in North West South West region in 2019 with a focus on the thematic areas of civil documentation and housing, land and property rights for vulnerable displaced populations and host communities in the country.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Programme Development Manager is to be responsible for the design, development and implementation of the Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) programme in Cameroon. NRC has been implementing its legal assistance programme in Cameroon since July 2017 and focuses on the thematic areas of civil documentation and housing, land and property rights for vulnerable displaced populations and host communities in the country.
- Develop ICLA strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro logframes
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, ICLA tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Responsible for development and managing funding proposal, project budgets and donor reports
- Overall management of project staff and responsible for staff recruitment
- Coordinate and manage ICLA project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and coordination with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums and working groups.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Managers
- Develop partnerships in the humanitarian community and coordinate with relevant authorities to design solutions to identify problems
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Identify and implement appropriate interventions in rural and urban contexts in coordination with other NRC programmes
- Conduct needs assessments in displacement and hard to reach areas in the Far North, East, South West and North West regions in line with NRC’s humanitarian access strategies
- Establish and develop systems and tools for ICLA implementation
- Ensure timely and high-quality programme delivery against planned targets
- Contribute in the development of advocacy materials
- Ensure timely and quality monitoring reports of ICLA activities to ensure high technical quality and transparent processes
- Research and analyse the evolving housing, land and property (HLP) and legal identity context in Cameroon and adapt the programme accordingly
- Develop approaches and activities ensuring promotion of the Do No Harm principle and lead protection mainstreaming initiatives within the ICLA programme.
- In coordination with the M&E, monitor and follow-up on quality of services provided by NRC in the field. Make recommendations for improvement
- In collaboration with the AM and the HoP, support all programs activities implementation
Generic professional competencies:
• Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Technical expertise on legal assistance programming
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Knowledge of the context in Cameroon and/or Central and West Africa
• Knowledge of the legal protection and displacement context in Cameroon
• Fluency in French, both written and verbal
• Experience with Start-up is an advantage
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility. At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract with possibility of extension
- Grade 9 in NRC scale
- Duty Station: 50% travel to other area offices and to Yaounde
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
The role is open to candidates who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
Find the full job description here.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 7/03/2022
How to apply
Please apply at this link: https://ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/4169
Get hire faster, quicker and easier with Akwajobs Coaching, click to register: https://forms.gle/qbKTS5ntCyiWGqw47 or a talk to career coach 681 390 326
Obtenez une embauche plus rapide, plus rapide et plus facile avec Akwajobs Coaching, cliquez pour vous inscrire : https://forms.gle/qbKTS5ntCyiWGqw47 ou parlez au coach de carrière 681 390 326
Les recrutements au Cameroun sont gratuits, prenez garde si des frais vous sont demandés et n'envoyez jamais de l'argent par transfert électronique (MOMO ou OM), ni de pièces personnelles comme votre CNI
Recruitments in Cameroon are free, be careful if fees are requested and never send money by electronic transfer (MOMO or OM), or personal documents like your CNI