Location: Mokolo, EN, CM
Plan International The Organisation Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Department & Location Administration Department: Mokolo
Reports to (position): Administrative
Purpose: Responsible for driving Plan’s staff, goods and materials
Duty station: Mokolo
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
- Drive professionally and defensively to ensure safety and protection of staff at all times without any incidents of accidents or injuries,
- Ensure vehicle is maintained as per the maintenance schedule of the vehicle to enhance longevity of vehicle with no reports of frequent breakdowns or malfunctioning of vehicle,
- Ensure that vehicle movement and mileage are duly recorded in the vehicle’s logbook to keep and track vehicle movement without any reports of carjacking,
- Ensure that the vehicle is always cleaned to enhance its state and notify Administrative Coordinator at least 2 months before the expiry date of the vehicles documents (insurance/road worthiness certificate etc) for renewal without any queries from the MTTU/Police,
- Dispatch local mail to addressees, keep and maintain communication with our clients without any reports of missing mails,
- Comply with Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to safeguard and protect the child at all times without any reports or incidents of child abuse,
- Comply with Plan’s Fraud Policy at all times to safeguard and protect Plan’s assets and reputation of honesty,
- Perform any other duties to be assigned to support the attainment of organizational goals.
Dealing with Problems:
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them
This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions;
Observe, anticipate and drive defensively to safeguard life and property always,
- Exhibit a good sense of judgment and responsibility while driving,
- In case of accident, make sure a Police report is made before moving,
- Works with minimum supervision.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Low contact with service providers and suppliers for the collection of quotations, receiving and dispatch of goods, material, equipments, mails, deposits etc.
- Maintains a high contact with all Maroua Program Unit staff to facilitate prompt movement of staff towards the implementation of Plan’s programs and activities
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Qualification and Experience
- GCE O level/SSS
- At least 5 years driving experience in the formal sector
- Valid driving license with category D.
- Experience in the NGO sector preferably with child-related development issues, would be an advantage
- Have a good knowledge of the Far North Region especially the Logone et Chari, Mayo Sava, Moyo Tsanaga and Diamaré divisions.
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the post-holder to successfully perform the role:
- Planning and organizing abilities
- Timeliness and proactive in the discharge of duties
- Ability to inter-face with staff visitors and partners at all levels
- Communicates in a manner that inspires confidence and professionalism
- High sense of judgment and responsibility
- High safety awareness level of area of operation
- Good team player
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
- Basic auto mechanic skills
- Good knowledge of Highway Code
- Good communication skills
- Good verbal and writing skills
- Good inter-personal skills
Physical Environment and Demands:
This position entails 70% travelling time within Plan offices and communities in the Program Units with 30% of the time on office related activities.
Level of Contact with Children:
Mid contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have occasional one-to-one contact with children and it is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Type of Role: Driver
Reports to: Admin Assistant
Closing Date: 25/12/2019
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for. Our organisation is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.