Corporate Legal Officer at Jumia Cameroon
Akwajobs (Douala, Cameroon)
Posted : 25 April, 2019
Job type : Full Time
Corporate Legal Officer
Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 3,000 employees in 14 countries spanning across 6 African regions, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation. We are looking for talented people with a passion for Africa to join our team and embark on our exciting journey!
Main Responsibilities :
1. Set up and monitor a legal watch
- Provide a permanent legal watch on the company's activities by following both the evolution of national and sometimes international regulations as well as case law.
- Provide an economic and competitive watch in order to inform the top management and / or operational departments about the practices of other companies in the sector.
- Collect all the information from operational departments: documentary sources, competitive intelligence, internal achievements ...
- Use the legal databases corresponding to the specific activities of the company.
2. Advice to operational staff
- Be a reference in providing relevant information and good advices within the company, particularly with the operational and senior management on legal issues related to projects (commercial law, competition, construction, copyright, taxation) , social law, transport law, Community law ...).
- Write briefing notes and legal recommendations for the company's operational staff in order to bring the company into compliance with the legislation in force or to anticipate regulatory changes.
- Train client-related teams to provide legal responses to clients.
- Develop and facilitate training actions on legal issues related to the company's activities.
3. Management of pre-litigation and litigation
- Reply to the letters of legal dispute.
- Optimize responses to phone complaints.
- Manage and investigate cases: implement and execute the formal notice, summons ...
- Check and propose amicable solutions for certain files.
- Write appeals.
- Liaise with lawyers in court proceedings.
- Decide if necessary to appeal and / or to appeal in cassation.
- Ensure the resolution of potential legal disputes.
- If necessary, decide the nature of the action to be taken in court (criminal, civil, commercial).
4. Establishment of legal documents
- Protect the intellectual property of the company (copyright, trademark registration ...)
- Manage legal issues related to intellectual property (patents, trademark law, domain names ...).
5. External representation
- From the administrative authorities;
- From partners, suppliers, customers;
- From professional organizations
Required Skills & Qualifications :
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- Outstanding communication skillsBSc degree in Law
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage;
We Offer :
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African E-commerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders
Apply for this job