Assistant Administrative Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Administrative Officer is responsible for supporting the Office/Bureau in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks. The incumbent assists the Supervisor in all administrative matters addressing day to day tasks and contributing to deliver administrative activities.
S/he will contribute to establish and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UN administrative, financial and human resources rules and procedures. Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field and with local suppliers/services to ensure provision of services and resolution of difficult problems. Frequent external contacts are counterparts in other organizations or in national Governments at working level related to issues of importance to the Organization¿s programmes.
Direct supervision is received from the immediate supervisor. The incumbent will also refer to UNHCR and UN handbooks and policy papers concerning administrative rules and regulations.
The incumbent may directly supervise general service staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Monitor the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office.
- Participates in the recruitment and training of General Service staff for specialized and non-specialized work and assign General Service staff to meet work requirements.
- Supervises activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, security, transport and similar services.
- Briefs international staff on general administrative matters, provide advice and ensure administrative support as required.
- Contributes to the preparation of submissions of new or revised procedures and practices.
- Prepares correspondence, special reports, evaluations and justifications as required on general administrative matters.
- Handles all personnel matters related to attendance records leave, issuance of visas, licence, etc.
- Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas.
- Facilitate the mission travel of staff, including following up on travel authorizations, bookings, tickets.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Public or Business Administration; Economics; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of UNHCR¿s administrative rules and procedures. Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
SC-UNHCR Procurement Rules and Procedures;
UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures;
IT-MS Office Applications;
FI-Funds Monitoring/Identifying cash flow problems;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.