Advisor, Medical at International Medical Corps
Job Summary: The Medical Advisor will be responsible for the management of the overall technical direction of the project as the lead subject matter expert for all health project components. S/he will work in close collaboration with the Senior Project Coordinator in defining technical thematic priorities and guiding corresponding interventions based on the globally recognized standards and latest evidence. This role includes strategic planning, technical leadership, capacity building, support and supervision of staff, internal and external coordination and representation and reporting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.
Main Tasks And Responsibilities
Technical Leadership and Project Management
- In collaboration with the Senior Project Coordinator, provide technical direction that ensures the project’s implementation and management plans are consistently technically sound and aligned to the aims of project objectives, service delivery needs, and expected results.
- Ensure the project’s technical strategy, approach, and contextualized interventions are harmonized across all project components, congruent to the global best practices, and aligned with the latest evidence.
- Lead collaboration and coordination across project teams to ensure results-oriented directions, targets, deliverables, internal control standards, and measurement plans are technically sound, adhered to, and aligned with project requirements.
- Lead and coordinate the provision of necessary technical assistance to effectively support project monitoring and quality assurance, as well as periodic review of project work plans and activities to ensure strategic use of lessons learned and best practices.
- Undertake analysis of technical trends, gaps in services, and IMC’s capacities to guide the highest quality of implementation across all components of the project and in all targeted geographic locations.
- Work closely with the project’s senior management to lead collaboration and coordination across project teams to ensure results-oriented directions, targets, deliverables, internal control standards, and measurement plans are technically sound, adhered to, and aligned with project requirements.
- Contribute to production of regular project reporting per donor and project requirements.
- Support the Senior Project Coordinator in ensuring adherence to IMC’s internal procedures and compliance with donor regulations.
- Provide support to the project’s senior management for the project’s overall operational, financial, and grant management needs.
Coordination and Representation
- Represent the project on the technical implementation of the project externally with donor, key stakeholders (international, regional, and national level), technical working groups, as well as internally with IMC’s mission-level and HQ technical and operational teams.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with IMC’s broader mission-level health program to ensure the project’s plans, interventions, and achievements are well connected with and integrated into the broader technical strategic priorities in the country.
Human Resources Management
- Manage teams of technical project staff at various levels of the project, including direct and indirect supervision, remotely and in-person as needed per implementation plans.
- Select and orient project staff/volunteers/partners for effective implementation
- Support, coach and supervise staff to build capacity and strengthen quality of interventions.
- Develop support strategies for staff, foster teambuilding, and introduce principles of self-care.
- Provide supportive and constructive feedback and conduct regular performance appraisals.
- Strengthen the capacity of project staff and/or partners through key technical trainings and mentorship focused on thematic areas specific to the project’s interventions and intended results.
Security and Conduct
- Ensure compliance with security protocols and policies
- Foster a safe and supportive working environment for all project staff/volunteers/partners
- Exemplify core principles of health programming, including respect, non-discrimination, responsible use of power, nonviolence, and promotion of gender equality
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the project and organization, notably through adherence to the Code of Conduct and Ethics, including compliance with anti-harassment, safeguarding and PSEA policies
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct
As applicable to this position, an individual must promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the organization and maintain a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Staff are also responsible for preventing violations to our Code of Conduct and Ethics, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any violations to the Code of Conduct and Ethics or Safeguarding Policy, you have an obligation to report.
If this is a supervisory position, one must set an example of ethical behavior through one’s own conduct and oversight of the work of others; ensure that those who report to you have sufficient knowledge and resources to follow the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Ethics; monitor compliance of the people you supervise; enforce the Code of Conduct & Ethics and International Medical Corps’ policies, including the Safeguarding Policy and the Protection from Harassment, Bullying and Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, consistently and fairly; support employees who in good faith raise questions or concerns.
It is all staff shared responsibility and obligation to safeguard and protect populations with whom we work, including adults who may be particularly vulnerable and children. This includes safeguarding from the following conduct by our staff or partners: sexual exploitation and abuse; exploitation, neglect, or abuse of children, adults at risk, or LGBTI individuals; and any form of trafficking in persons.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Typically, a Medical degree, with a Master’s degree in Public health preferred. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Typically, 10+ years of relevant and progressive experience managing health projects, providing strategic technical assistance for high-value, multi-partner complex projects implemented in international development and/or humanitarian settings, and 5 years of international humanitarian experience. Experience providing technical leadership for health service delivery and health systems strengthening programming, specifically. Experience with health systems strengthening in fragile and insecure settings is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in a similar, dedicated technical leadership role for a multi-year project preferred.
- Demonstrated experience designing and managing projects with focus in the areas of infectious diseases management and prevention, health systems strengthening, and capacity development at national and local levels; experience with health projects employing diverse implementation modalities and technical strategies or approaches for development settings preferred.
- Experience leading and/or supporting capacity strengthening initiatives with local stakeholders in diverse health technical areas.
- Recognized achievements in cultivating and maintaining internal and external relationships to achieve project goals.
- Demonstrated experience managing technical teams, employing both in-person and remote management approaches to supervision of staff in various locations.
- Relevant regional experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is preferred.
- Experience leading and/or supporting capacity strengthening initiatives with local staff and stakeholders in diverse health technical areas.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance for health programing employing cost recovery modalities preferred.
Skills And Competencies
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating, facilitating, and managing complex processes with diverse team members, across a large consortium of partners and/or across consecutive years of multi-year health project.
- Strong knowledge of standards and guidelines for health programming and protection against SEA, coordination, and data management.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, creativity, acute problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of foreign aid architecture, including humanitarian and development funding mechanisms.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong familiarity with World Bank and UNHCR rules and regulations, including policies and procedures regarding human resources, grants management; financial management and reporting, and procurement processes strongly preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required.
NB: Apply here: https://internationalmedicalcorps.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/316