Advisor for Communication and Information at UNESCO
Akwajobs (Yaoundé, Cameroun)
Posted : 16 August, 2019
Job type : Full Time
ADVISOR FOR COMMUNICATION & INFORMATION
- Domain : Communication and Information
- Post Number : 6CMCI 0001RP
- Grade : P-3 Organizational
- Unit : DIV. OF FIELD SUPPORT & COORDINATION
- Primary Location : CM-Yaounde
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Type of contract : Fixed Term
- Salary : 79,026 dollars des Etats-Unies (salaire annuel)
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15 September 2019
Core Values :
- Commitment to the organization
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Communication and Information, and the direct supervision of the Director UNESCO Office in Yaoundé, and in close cooperation with staff (Directors, Chiefs of Sections, Programme Specialists, ACIs) in Communication and Information, at Headquarters and in the Field Offices, the incumbent serves as Advisor for Communication and Information (ACI) for countries covered by the UNESCO Office in Yaoundé, Multisectoral Regional Office For Central Africa: Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Sao Tome and Principe, House for a culture of Peace.
The incumbent works within the frameworks of UNESCO's Medium-Term Strategies (C/4s) and approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5s), as well as global development plans such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, Aspiration 3 of Agenda 2063, the UN Plan of Action for the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity, and the World Summit of the Information Society outcomes.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Analyze, evaluate and contribute to the development of Sector-wide approaches and strategies for harnessing the potential of communication and information as well as ICTs for fostering inclusive knowledge societies, democracy, the rule of law and sustainable development, and for protecting and promoting human rights in the cluster office.
- Define priorities and agenda, proactively mobilize funds and ensure diversification of resources.
- Identify and pursue improvements to systems, services, processes, networks and cooperation in the area of communication and information in the Field.
- Direct the conceptualization, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of workplans and regular and extra budgetary initiatives along with activities aligned with the Organization's priorities, by providing technical inputs to institutional documents such as the C/4s and C/5s,
- Develop new project options and proposals to be funded by contributions received for the International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC) and the Information for All Programme (IFAP).
- Contribute to UNESCO's involvement in the United Nations project management systems including the preparation of Common Country Assessments (CCA), United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF), Country Programme Documents (CPDs) and Country Programme Action Plans (CPAPs), including the provision of timely reports.
- Contribute to resources mobilization for the region and individual countries by developing concept notes and project proposals on the basis of situational analysis and needs assessments and in accordance with the C/5.
- Deal with United Nations Agencies seeking or marketing joint programmes, bilateral and multilateral partners, continental development Banks and International Institutions (World Bank, European Union).
- Prepare and follow up on submissions, coordinate donor meetings, including state of the art peer consultations.
- Act as a focal point for one of the countries in the region and report on it.
- Prepare inputs and strive to generate extra budgetary projects and funding.
- As assigned, mobilize extra budgetary resources to support sector-wide planning, policy analysis, assessment and management among Member States in the region in line with country policy priorities, the regional Strategy and UNESCO’s overall resource mobilization strategies, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
- Coordinate the preparation of, or prepare, reports on the implementation of programmes and projects (funded within C/5s and by extrabudgetary funds, including contributions received for IPDC and IFAP) and other briefings as may be required by Headquarters or the UNESCO Office in Rabat, using relevant tools, including the System of Information on Strategies, Tasks and the Evaluation of Results (SISTER).
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in the field of communication and information, political sciences, international relations or related areas.
- Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of communication and information, promoting issues related to free, pluralistic and independent media and/ or building inclusive knowledge societies.
- Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven ability to edit and draft clearly and concisely.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Capacity to ensure accuracy of documents and reports through research, reference sources and consultations, paying close attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to interact with a wide range of stakeholders and to work effectively and respectfully in a multicultural environment.
- Strong sense of ethics, integrity, diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure, to manage heavy workload and to meet tight deadlines, with the ability to apply flexibility in adjusting work schedules and priorities.
- Languages : English and French are the working languages of the UNESCO Secretariat. For this post, excellent knowledge of English and French is required.
- Demonstrated experience in international cooperation programmes and in the area of fund-raising and resource mobilization.
- Experience in partnership-building with UN Agencies, the private sector, civil society and NGOs will be an asset.
- Experience in developing proposals and agreements to external funders.
Skills and competencies
- Knowledge of funding and other resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s programmes and approved priorities, familiarity with the work and general functioning of UNESCO and international organizations in the UN system.
- Languages : Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese).
Join Akwajobs G4 for updates, tips and info // Rejoignez Akwajobs G4 pour des offres d'emploi, des conseils et des informations http://bit.ly/33yiQo7
Join Akwajobs' Telegram Channel for updates, tips and info // Rejoignez la Chaîne de Akwajobs au Telegram pour des offres d'emploi, des conseils et des informations https://t.me/akwajobs
Apply for this job